Saturday, May 4, 2013

Port and Pump Chemowear


Having a bag of chemo that I carry around 24/7 has led me to a lot of thought about my “Port and Pump” wardrobe. This is important because I have to be out and about, at least to the extent of going into the Cancer Center every day to replenish the fluid (i.e. change bags). 

I like to be styling when I go there. It’s one of the things I can have fun with at this time. So I put on a designer shirt. For pants, I alternate my two pairs of “ileostomy pants” (close with a drawstring) that Terry got me. For footwear I stay with my comfy SAS shoes with the velcro closure that can accommodate my sometimes swollen feet. My fedoras are out for headgear because I need to lie down or at least lean back so much both at home and at the Cancer Center. So it’s one of my 50 or so baseball caps.

I have a port in my chest, as you all know, and the fluid lines come out the bottom and lie naturally at a level between the second and third buttons of my shirt (not including the collar button). No problems there, but I’m limited when it comes to under and outer wear. V neck tee shirts are okay, but the V is a little high. I’ve broken out the scissors on one, which did the trick, but didn’t do much for the shirt. Terry bought me a loose crew neck and it works much better. I’ve ordered some extra low V necks on Amazon, and we’ll see how they do.

Left to Right - North Beach Shirt-Jack / 1938 Seals Jersey and Hat / New Diesel Cotton Sweater
The layer above my shirt is important because one of my favorite places to relax in the house is tucked in cold corner of our house, and we’re often at the Cancer Center after dark when it’s chilly even on hot days. My skinny frame offers little protection. Around the house I’ve been wearing my two Pendleton shirts in rotation over my regular shirt, but I feel that look is not up to the out of the house image I’m shooting for. 

Rocking my Missoni Knit. Pole with Fluids is Connected 50% of the Time at Home
For the Cancer Center I’ve got four looks going on now. One features a nice snap front leather shirt-jacket from North Beach Leathers. Another option is one of my cool baseball jerseys. These aren’t so warm, so I usually add a two button sport coat that buttons up right below the chemo line. Another is to wear my gorgeous woven woolen Missoni shirt. Finally, Terry just bought me a nice Diesel button up cotton sweater, which will be great because it’s lighter weight and color than my fall looking Pendletons. Of course, I have to carefully coordinate my baseball cap to each look.

2 comments:

  1. Wow - you look ready to start your own Fashion Mag for the well-dressed rehab recovery beau monde. Very trendy! Glad that you have the humor and flair to attempt more than bunny slippers and housecoat.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery - Allegra & Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm about at the halfway point and am hanging in there.

      Delete