Sunday, May 12, 2013

Our Support "Staff"



Drawing by Ceiny Carney
It’s fabulous how our friends have stepped up during my illness. Terry has been able to keep up much of her weekly outside the house routine as our volunteers sit with me at home. Usually they don’t have to do much, but they are there for emergencies and to do simple but helpful tasks like minor clean up, dish washing and pill fetching from upstairs (when I’m stuck on the first floor, hooked up to my fluids pole).

All the different supporters and I have developed different habits. Don is into sports and movies, so we watch those when he comes by. Ceiny has the cool habit of drawing quite a bit of the time. If I’m into my book or nod off, she’ll sketch our house (I’ve posted a couple). Lynne loves to listen to and talk about music. She’s a big fan of mine and will have me play for her if I’m up to it. Susan is in the market for a car, so we discuss options and surf the net. These are just a few examples. Our volunteer “staff” is fairly numerous. I’d start naming others, but I’d probably forget someone.

Drawing by Terry's BFF Ceiny
With everyone there’s usually a lot of chit chat. My favorite topics are sports, family, history, books, movies, music and uplifting health success stories. 

My least favorite conversational topic is the I can top that health comment (e.g. “you think you’ve got it bad. I had this friend who had his head amputated and now he has to carry it around in a box.”) It’s human nature to go that route. I’ve done it myself, sometimes even thinking as I say it, “You idiot!” Anyway, it’s not really what most sick people want to hear. “Joe Blow had what you have and is fine now” is what one wants to hear.

I’m hanging in there. Worst complaint today is bone pain centered in my jaw. The bones are evidently working overtime to make white blood cells. That’s a good thing, but it hurts.


8 comments:

  1. thanks for posting my sketches, dale! watch out, you and your pole (medical one, that is) may be my next subject. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not much inspiring about the other pole these days.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shame on you for sending a junk posting to this blog.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I agree. Ceiny's always been good, but she's stepped it up a notch lately.

      Delete
  4. Very Fun drawing! With your writing and Ceiny's illustrations, I want to see a story book of 70 Terrace Walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book's going to have to wait a bit. Thanks, though.

      Delete