Friday, May 17, 2013

Hospital and Bad News Turns to Good News

At my regular Monday appointment, which fell at the end of the down days of my cycle, I was found to have low blood pressure and a temperature. I was immediately sent to the hospital. Since I had anticipated a long day at the Cancer Center, I had my Kindle and iPod with headphones. That put me in pretty good stead. Terry was able to bring my iPad on Tuesday, loaded with a fresh movie.

The guitar was a different matter. Because Terry was physically limited by a biopsy (more on that in a few paragraphs), because bringing the guitar entails bringing a backless chair and guitar stand, and because my stay was open ended, we kept putting off bringing it. This became more and more frustrating as a transfusion and extra fluids had me feeling better and better. I hung in there.

I just finished playing a bit, though, and it wasn't disastrous. So I'll go from there.

In the meantime, Terry and I each got some bad news, that turned out okay.

First my story

I have a history of temporal mandibular joint pain. It's always there but is easily bearable. On Saturday it was suddenly extremely painful to chew at all. It was the familiar pain, but worse than it's ever been. I guess it was part of the general bone pain that one gets during chemo. I reported this to my oncologist and he called for an MRI, being the thorough guy that he is. The scan showed something in my nasal passage near the ear. He was talking about a biopsy, but wanted to bring in an ear, nose and throat doctor to rule out any type of infection. So, during the 12 hour period between getting this info and the visit by the ENT doc I was thinking I had some new and different cancer.

Well, the ENT doc said it was nothing. There was some techno-babble involved, but think it was something to do with not having enough mucus. In any event it's not a tumor and everything is cool.

In the meantime the extreme pain retreated and I was able to chew again a bit on Tuesday. Now the jaw is back to the normal easily bearable pain.

Now Terry's story 

A couple of weeks ago she got an MRI to check if she had more small tumors that weren't revealed in the original Ultrasound. There were. Tuesday she had them biopsied. Just after we got home today her oncologist called to say they were classified "pre-cancerous" and were "no big deal". She added that a mastectomy is now off the table, and there is "no rush" to do anything.

1 comment: