Friday, May 10, 2013

Anger, Lounger and Deer


Terry and I had our first big argument since the start of this blog. I won’t go into details, mainly because it was about 99.99 % my fault. It’s done now, though. So I thought I’d talk a little bit about arguing and anger. 

Unfortunately anger is an easy emotion to get ahold of, so that’s where we humans often go when we’re feeling emotional. It’s cathartic, but it’s a damn shame it’s almost always directed at some person or group (e.g. self, spouse, sibling, friend, the damn Republicans). As Rodney King said, “why can’t we all just get along?”

In my younger days I was a sulker, but I’m working very hard to pass beyond that behavior. I no longer argue while waiting or even goading someone into an insult so I can say, “I’ve never been so insulted in my life” and stalk off (I’m not talking about when the insult is the cause of the original argument, but about something subsequent that one is waiting for as a chance to grab the moral high ground, at least in one’s own mind).

Before Terry I don’t believe I had ever had an argument where the two parties come back to calm without ever ceasing talking. It’s a habit I recommend.

Chilling in the Sun with New Lounger

Now for the latest news. An outside lounger we ordered arrived today, and it is great. I now have another place to hang with nice bird sounds, beautiful plants and warm sunlight (except when there isn’t any).

Yesterday our local deer “herd” showed up with two new fawns. Cute, but annoying (Adios young plants, and look out for the dog). Interestingly, the older generation seems to have disappeared, so it looks like we’re still at four total. We’ll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment