Friday, July 19, 2013

Back in Hospital + T.V.

I'm back at the hospital. There was no crisis. Dr. K wanted a biopsy of my right lung which continues to produce some kind of spots. It is set for this morning and I'll pass on the results.

Last post I wrote about "The Killing", so I thought I'd list a few more network shows I'm into -

"Project Runway" - I've come to like and get a bit of education in designer clothes since turning 50 or so, and I've always liked dressing so I'm noticed. My wife and I watch together and we debrief with her BFF Ceiny. The show starts with 16 designers, losing one a week. They'll have to make clothes from duct tape, anything found in a hardware store etc. There's also an episode where they design their own fabric. They have to work fast and have tight budgets.

"Pawn Stars" - The gang from Rick's pawn shop in Las Vegas buys guns, cars, rare documents, and other stuff with experts coming in to do evaluations. The three generations of the Harrison family + Chum Lee have a lot of personality, and, as Rick says, "You never know what's going to come through the door,"

"Justified" - It's a modern day Western featuring U.S. Deputy Marshal Raylan Givens, whose specialty is the fast draw. Originally from Harlan County, KY, he's back there to serve. He has relationships with many of the criminals from the old days - ancient family feuds etc. Gangster Boyd Crowder often steals the show. While not an outright comedy by any means, it's often pretty funny, and comic book like. This softens the violence quite a bit, at least for me.

"Elementary" - Modern update of Sherlock Holmes. He's in NYC and Watson is a female. See July 5 post.

5 comments:

  1. i'm outed as a "project runway" fan! if you haven't tried it, it's a wonderful guilty pleasure. if anyone wants to try it, the new season starts this week--and can be watched on the computer. "make it work!"

    dale, we'll have to compare notes on the new season's contestants soon.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dale, second try at this comment. Couldn't cut Project Runway, but Elementary is just old school enough for me. It is hard for modern adapters to find clues for Sherlock to deduce from, as their minds don't work like his, but the writers have done well in this series. I'm enjoying it, but as it is plot driven, I don't think I could watch any of it twice until I become more forgetful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Identity of Moriarity was not a surprise for me, but how they brought M down was

      Delete