Friday, April 19, 2013

The Upper Terrace Walk Cancer Cluster


So far 2013 is shaping up as our worst year by far. Terry’s latest mammogram and follow up biopsy has revealed two labular carcinomas in her right breast - Unbelievable, but true. However, she could not have a less dangerous cancer. Quoting from the email she sent out to some of you, “I have seen the oncologist and the surgeon this week. Both are very encouraging. The surgeon says that right now it looks like a ‘stage zero,’ slow growing cancer with very little chance of spreading to the lymph nodes. I will have an MRI this coming Thursday to confirm that the two carcinomas are as small as they appear from the mammograms and ultrasound. The treatment options include surgery (lumpectomy or mastectomy), hormone treatments (for sure) and radiation (although I've already had two radiation treatments - a lot). Both these doctors are full understanding my needs in relation to Dale and are saying, ‘Don't panic. There's no rush.’ I, at least, unlike Dale, feel fine, have no symptoms, etc. The carcinomas were found with a routine mammogram.”

We’ve known this for a week or so, but Terry preferred to get a fairly thorough picture before we shared the info. 

We’ve decided to rename our patch of ground the Upper Terrace Walk Cancer Cluster or the UTWCC. 

I’m enjoying being home. My main annoyance is bone pain (those who have had chemo know what I’m talking about). I caught the great classic movie Here Comes Mr. Jordan on t.v. last night. Love that actor Edward Everett Horton. Remember his scenes with Eric Blore in some Fred Astaire movies? We also caught up with Project Runway - go Patricia! I'm managing a bit of guitar playing every day.

Signing off for now from the UTWCC.

2 comments:

  1. dale--i forwarded terry's e-mail to some of my friends in s.c. who have been concerned about you, and one responded that she was glad to get the news you are home but said, "Who, though, is Judy who is sleeping with Dale?" that's how rumors start! xxoo

    ReplyDelete