Saturday, April 13, 2013

Hospital Staff is Diverse


Still on schedule for Monday release. My last chemo bag will finish Sunday night. I’m feeling excited and am ready for some of mine and Terry’s home cooking. I’m sure it will not come as a news flash to you that my opinion is hospital food is not so good. An alleged cheese omelet from here would probably bounce four feet in the air if dropped. You want that the egg to be a little soft with cheese oozing on the plate, no? with a nice pice of toast to sop up. 

Also, the hospital’s most basic of basic cable t.v. leaves the sports fan frustrated. No ESPN, for example.

I thought I’d blog about the hospital staff today. Especially in California and especially in Oakland and Berkeley, the ethnic diversity of hospital staff could hardly be greater. I’ve been too sick and polite to question everyone at length, but there are Chinese, Filipinos, Central Americans, Mexicans, Africans, Tibetans etc. all working in harmony. It’s a glimpse of the future and positive one. One nurse I hook up with a lot shared his story. His father tried twice to walk from El Salvador to the States. The first time the Mexicans turned him back, but he made it the second time. He asked for and eventually was granted political asylum. He eventually brought over his family including our guy who studied hard and is a damn good nurse. He’s promised to bring me in some of his sister’s pupusas - yum.

You know, one of the conservatives’ old sayings is that we humans are drawn to our own kind because we feel so comfortable there. Well, that’s true, but so is the opposite. We humans are also curious and are perhaps equally drawn to find out what’s going on with the “other” kind. It’s fun, it’s challenging, and it makes life much more interesting. Here in the hospital they are making it work and it makes me happy about the future of California, the nation and the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment