Saturday, April 27, 2013

Appetite



My appetite has been pretty poor for awhile. My abused gastrointestinal tract first had a huge tumor grow over it, pressing it down, and then had its large intestine taken temporarily out of commission. Not a prescription for a robust appetite.

Giants Jersey courtesy Eric Helbush
On top of this, as many of you know or have read, chemo can bring on a state where familiar foods smell and taste bland, strange or even nauseous. You know you need to gain weight, but you just can’t produce any saliva or enthusiasm. You choke down a few bites, chase them with a lot of water or juice, and tell yourself it is for your own good. In my own case, a bowl of cereal with yogurt, milk and fruit in the morning and a smoothie (ice cream, banana, berries, protein powder) in the afternoon were the only things that elevated themselves out of the “gag me” realm.

That’s why I’m happy to report that my appetite has returned. Thursday it was pretty good and then yesterday I downed - with enthusiasm - a bowl of cereal, a croissant, a turkey and cheese sandwich and, for dinner, homemade spaghetti sauce cooked by yours truly with help from brother-in-law Hank (chopped all ingredients, ate huge portions and teamed up for the the clean-up) and Terry (vegetables and clean up). Without the ingredients to make a classic Bolognese sauce, I improvised with onion, garlic, anchovy, carrots, stewed tomatoes and ground beef, simmered for 2 1/2 hours. For pasta we mixed 1/2 whole wheat dry with 1/2 traditional fresh (all we had left). It was an improv, but the two pastas added another layer of interest for me.


My Favorite Giant Sergio Romo's Number
For lunch today, a classic Sloppy Joe using the remaining spaghetti sauce. Yum. Such fun to enjoy food again.

If things continue apace, it’s take out Indian food (mild) from Ajanta for our Monday dinner with Carol (one hopes)! 



4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear your appetite has come back, and it sounds like it was vigorous. I learned, to my surprise that there is a difference between hunger and appetite. I still don't have hunger, for the most part, and it is 2 years after my last radiation or chemo. If I miss lunch by the clock, I am not really aware that I didn't eat. I do have more appetitle at dinner. Do you find this hunger/appetite distinction in your case?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think so. Also, I'll see a commercial on t.v. and think "Wow, that taco sure looks good", but it will flee within a few minutes. See today's post for an update on eating. I had a bad day before yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like i missed quite the party. I am glad you are enjoying the jersey, good choice with romo. For the record I am a huge cure fan and I am envious of your dream!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll mark that Cure fandom to your permanent record.

      Delete