Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Taking a Break for a Movie Review


Terry chastised me for obsessing on one particular body part in the last blog, and I hear her complaint. It’s hard to avoid the body part / body function trap in my current condition, so why don’t I review a video I just watched on my iPad mini.

Moonrise Kingdom - Wes Anderson is one of those quirky film makers who does what he does with what appears to be little if any thought of what’s popular or profitable or trendy. He creates extremely likable but flawed characters and puts them in exotic settings. I rarely laugh out loud during one of his movies, but I seem to have a smile of my face from beginning to end. 

Here, all the action takes place on a island off the northeast United States coast in 1965. The basic plot is that a misfit scout in a scout troupe and the daughter of the lawyers run away to live in a deserted cove. The two young actors work well together. Their characters are about 14. They’re cute as they practice French kissing. He’s brought all the correct scout survival gear and she’s brought her favorite books and a portable record player. He nods sagely at her choices rather than berate her impracticality. I’ll stop there. Suffice to say - sh*t happens, things get more complex etc.

The cast is excellent - Edward Norton as the strict but sweet scoutmaster; Bruce Willis as the island’s entire police force; Bill Murray and Francis McDormand as the married couple lawyers who call each other counsellor; Tilda Swinton, ominously referred to by everyone, including herself, as Social Services, who is hinting at electro shock for the young hero; Bob Balaban as a sort of Shakespearian narrator who speaks into the camera (though he’s also appears to be a real character). Harvey Keitel adds a funny cameo as the senile head of the scouting group.

Anyway, I give it 4 of 5 stars and say “Rent it”. It’s as good a movie as any to start your Wes Anderson foray. 

Coming up, baring another inspiration - Argo, Flight and t.v. series Justified, Elementary, and Project Runway - as we leave body parts and functions behind for now.

Just learned I will do next round of chemo here in hospital, so I won't be released for a week or so.

4 comments:

  1. Wasn't the B. Britten music in "Moonrise Kingdom" great? Also enjoyed the locations and the sets. Anderson told Terry Gross that they built the girl's home in an former "Linen and Things" store in Rhode Island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. meant, of course, ". . . a former. . ."

    i knew that grammar error might rankle you, dale!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Moonrise Kingdom too! but Rushmore is still the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in India on the train was pretty good too. I like the guy.

      Delete