Monday, June 3, 2013

Count Your Blessings - Might as Well, They're All You've Got


I was whining to my wife a few days ago something like this - “I can only concentrate for about 30 minutes before I get a headache and have to lie down and close my eyes until it goes away.”

“Well,” she responded, “at least you can concentrate for awhile and you can get rid of the headache.”

Temporary Upstairs Dining Room
She’s right, of course. You really do have to take pleasure in what you can do, and appreciate the moment whenever you can. Agonizing over what you’ve lost, or do or do not have is a big waste of time. It’s always now and things are as they are.

I got to thinking about some of the great moments I’ve had over the last few days - getting locked into a tune streaming over my music system, watching the beautiful late afternoon / early evening light while lying on my lounger in the back yard, and having Judy curl up at my side and start purring.

In particular I remember a really nice dinner with Terry night before last. I was “stuck” upstairs with my pole and attached fluid bag. She set up a “table” in the alcove of our bedroom using tray tables inherited from her late mother Jane pushed together. We had a leisurely, “proper” dinner with cloth napkins etc. Dining like this has been an important tradition for us that has been thrown off since my treatments started, so this felt so calming and “right”.

Things are pretty good right now. Nearly ten extra days between treatments have me remembering what normal feels like and allowed me to gain five pounds.

2 comments:

  1. remember when i said, "dale miller = buddhism's greatest challenge"? these days, it could be turning into "dale miller = buddhism's greatest triumph"

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's assuming I'm walking the walk as well as talking the talk. Getting there anyway. Thanks.

      Delete