Monday, June 10, 2013

Slide Guitar Agenda


Those of you who’ve been through chemo know how weak you get. You can feel the weight of a fork as you pick it up. Last night I was making heroic efforts to play good barre chords. This was right after I’d come off my four day’s of chemo from the infamous bag, a weak point in the 21 day cycle.

I actually woke up with a small bruise on my barring finger - bummer!

I went down to the Cancer Center today for my neulasta shot. One of their standard questions is “any new bruising or cuts.” So, I told my tale of woe. “Why don’t you play slide for awhile?” the nurse asked. WTF. That was it! I didn’t even know she played. I’m sure she didn’t know I played. 

I have an agenda! My calluses on the left hand are still there, though a bit soft. As for the right hand, my fingernails are still strong. I’m having to play pretty softly with my weak muscles, but I’m playing. Kudos to the nurse, whose name I never caught. I’m sure I’ll see her, though, and thank her. This could end up being a blessing in disguise by helping improve my slide chops. (The bruise, by the way, is already in full retreat).

Through it all I’ve got the loving wife, friends, pets, music listening, reading, t.v. watching etc. to keep me happy or at least happy-ish.

Since my last post, I got my weight up to 138. A good technique I’ve developed is the medicinal teaspoon of peanut or almond butter from time to time. It really binds things, which is an important issue, as I explained a few posts ago. 

With the 2/3 mark soon to arrive, I’m feeling confident and optimistic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment