Saturday, March 9, 2013

You're Either in Charge or you Aren't


One of my favorite movies is Akira Kurosawa’s “Ran”, which many of you know was based on Shakespeare’s “King Lear”. I like "Ran" so much, I’ve checked out a few movie versions of "Kind Lear" and read the play. 

In the opening scene, Lear, speaking in the royal first person plural, decides it’s time “to shake all cares and business from our age. Conferring them on younger strengths” and “divest us both of rule, interest of territory, cares of state”. Okay, that’s cool, he’s tired and ready to retire. But then, towards the end of the scene he adds, “Only we still retain the name, and all the additions to a king.”

Well, of course, things don’t work out that way, as he learns the hard way. The lesson, as I see it is this - You’re either in charge are you aren’t. You’ve got the power or you don’t.

So, what does this have to do with this blog? Well, I’m going to painfully stretch an analogy and equate handing over the responsibility of running certain errands to handing over the rule of a kingdom. 

In our 30 years of marriage we’ve scientifically or just organically learned to divide up the responsibilities. One of my tasks has been renewing our car registrations (For many years just one car, from ’98 on, two cars). This has become a simple task in the internet era. The only time one needs to get off of one’s posterior is when a smog check is required, as it was this go round on our 2001 SAAB. I misplaced the paperwork and suddenly realized we only had a month to go. This was just as I was starting to feel pretty funky. So, I started pestering Terry about getting it done. Around March 1 she told me she’d do it on Thursday, March 7. (I give myself a C+ on the not continuing to “remind” - i.e. nag - her while waiting for that date to arrive). 

She came downstairs March 7 after walking the dog. She had a sheet of paper in her hand. She announced she was off to get the smog check. “Just a minute,” I said, and went to the computer to research what might be the best and closest place to get it done. I peeked out of the corner of my eye and realized I was getting “the look.” Duh! Of course she had already done all this, and was holding a web special $20 off coupon. Oooops. Sorry. The lesson, my friends and family, you’re in charge or you’re not. When you’re not, take advantage of it. Kick back. Chill. Noodle on guitar. Listen to music. Pontificate on Facebook or your blog. Take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment