Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Background and Intro to Blog


This is for family and close friends. A possibly boring, detailed account of my trip with lymphoma. I'll begin with history to bring us up to this point.

Last November at my annual checkup we discovered that my stomach was painful to touch in the center. I felt okay though. I had my normal appetite, and had been eating Indian, Mexican and other cuisines with no digestive problems beyond the usual occasional minor stuff we all have. My primary care doc sent me to the surgeon who had fixed my inguinal hernia, thinking I might have the other type of hernia. He said I didn’t and recommended a CT Scan. I shined it on, thinking “I feel okay and who needs to drink radioactive chemicals.”

In mid to late December I began to have extreme diarrhea - total liquid. It was easily controllable with Pepto and I still felt fine and had normal appetite and no stomach upset. I was getting worried, though. I called my doctor and we did a test for intestinal parasites. At this same time I got advice from my Osteopath (for pinched nerve) on changing my diet. This worked well. I was able to go off Pepto and continue to have okay poops. The test, which took two long weeks, came back negative. I was feeling pretty happy and thought I might be able to ease back onto my regular diet. My stomach was still sensitive, though.

Then around February 20 I started too feel really bad. The diarrhea came back. I was feeling nauseous and weak. On the 23rd I threw up a few times and my energy level was even lower. I went to see my doctor who set me up for a CT scan - STAT - which revealed a large “mass” partially blocking my intestine. Solid matter could not pass, but there was enough of an opening for liquid to get through.

I was feeling worse, throwing up a bit. I went back to my surgeon who sent me to the hospital on Thursday, Feb 28. The mass was biopsied on Saturday, March 2. In the meantime, some time on the IV got me back on track and I was able to leave the hospital on Sunday. Today (March 6) I learned I have lymphoma. I’ll know exactly what kind in another week. No matter what kind, I’ll be getting chemotherapy. 

In the meantime I’m doing okay at home, watching what I eat and eating very slowly.

I’ll be posting about how I’m feeling mentally in the next entry.

6 comments:

  1. Oh,Dale. So sorry to hear about your lymphoma. You are in my thoughts.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale, I am majorly bummed to wake up this morning to this news. I must say, though, I admire your ability to deliver it with humor.

    Please let me know if you think a few guitar players picking in your living room might make you feel better during chemo (not that you'll necessarily feel bad, but just in case.) I can try to round some up.

    Here's to hearing good news from you in the upcoming weeks.
    Steve Baughman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That's a good idea. I'll take you up on it. I'm still able to play fairly well, though not for extended periods of time. I'm actually feeling stronger as I'm getting my new eating techniques together. You know, I'm listening to my 11 days of music on shuffle pretty much 100% of the time now. Your "Hard Times" came up the other day. Really nice.

      Delete
  3. Not good news. I appreciate your using this blog for updates. A friend had thyroid cancer a few years ago, and the blog he set up did good things for him and his friends, I think. It gave him a chance to get info out without worrying about who he might have missed, and also became a place where he could decide what he wanted people to know. As for friends, it was good to know how the treatment progressed.

    Will be thinking of you, and following this blog.

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also determined not to use Facebook for my medical updates.

      Delete