Saturday, March 16, 2013

Hair Today, Gone by Afternoon


When my wife had breast cancer many years ago, she went out to a hair stylist just before her chemo treatments were going to start. I thought she was planning to get a very short haircut so she wouldn’t have so much to lose. She came back with a beautiful ‘do that was not really that short. I either had misunderstood or she had changed her mind.

So, it was particularly sad for me to watch her hair come out in handfuls when she went to brush it a few weeks later. 

At that point I decided I would get a buzz cut if I was ever in the same situation. So, that was my agenda for today. I went to a cheap place in the neighborhood rather than to my  famous top of the line downtown S.F. stylist (one of our indulgences). But even bargain stylists want to style, so she talked me into doing something that wasn’t completely boring.

So, I am currently rocking a ‘do that is about 1/8 inch on the the sides and an inch on top, spiked up with a little styling gel. It’s a nice compromise, and should be easy to adjust (i.e. shave) as my hair starts to fall out.

After that my wife and I decided I should indulge myself with a new 64 GB iPad mini which we went down and bought. Tomorrow’s agenda - fill that sucker up with movies and t.v. shows for the hospital stay. Tonight - lots of rest. A hair cut and an errand are about the extent of my abilities at this point.

2 comments: