Thursday, March 7, 2013

Wife's History - Age - Background Annoyances - Funny Hospital Story

It helps me A LOT that my wife has gone through two cancers. Obviously, I would prefer that it had never happened, but the fact that it did makes my situation seem more routine. One thing, we both noticed was how much better treatment had become the second time around. The "cocktail" of chemicals had become more sophisticated and the entire environment of the cancer center had improved.

This past history also reinforces the "this too shall pass" mantra most of us get working on when we have to go through a tough period of time, like, say, a root canal appointment.

Age plays such a factor as well. When you're 68, as I am, you figure you've got 10 to 20 more years, so the fear that the cancer may return down the line isn't so frightening. Five years could easily be half your life. Another nice thing, the older you are the more slowly cells reproduce in general, so cancers grow more slowly.

I've got a couple of peripheral issues that are annoying.

First - I have a pinched nerve in my neck that was diagnosed about 15 years ago, but I think goes back even further. I've learned to live with it, but it gives me constant pain that radiates out from my neck in all directions. In relation to my current situation it causes confusion because I'm not always sure where it hurts. This sounds like is should be obvious, but with the pain from my neck radiating into my jaw, head and stomach, I'm not sure if it's my stomach or pinched nerve that is acting up.

Second - driving over The Grapevine out of L.A. in January my right ear filled up and it won't drain properly. I've had it checked out and it's not infected, but it hurts, sometimes quite a bit, exacerbated by the pain from my pinched nerve. None of my doctors think it's related to my lymphoma, but in my uneducated mind I'm thinking, "Partially blocked intestine, partially blocked eustachian tube - sounds related to me".

I'll close this entry with an amusing story. When I spent three nights in the hospital last week the doctors authorized various meds for me. They were pretty generous - morphine (very weak, so I didn't get to feel high), hydro-codone, diazepam, and lorazepam. My last night I told the nurse, "My pain level is pretty mild tonight, I think I'll be okay with a couple of Tylenol." You guessed it - not on the list. So I took a half dose of hydro-codone.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Dale,
    I am trying again to write. I am sending love and well wishes old friend. Let me know if there is any way I can help. At any time in this process,you are ever up for it and feel it would help, you can count me in on a musical get together as Steve suggested. Tina sends her best wishes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll get that organized. Best to Tina.

      Delete
  2. My ENT poked a small hole in my left eardrum and put in a drain because the fluid was not draining out the eustation tube as it should have been. That was over a year ago and the drain has fallen out, the ear drum healed, but the fluid buildup has not recurred - perhaps it takes years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about this procedure and am tempted. I'll definitely do it after another month if not sooner. Have you flown in a plane since then? How did that go?

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An oncologist has now told me that the blocked eustachian tube could easily be the result of a swollen lymph node.

    ReplyDelete